View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 08:11 PM  
gideongallery
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawAlex View Post
Do torrents have legitimate uses? Very few if any, and what few valid uses they might have are lost because the system requires extensive bandwidth leeching from ISPs to make it go.
it only leeching if you are violating the tos of your isp. if that is the case IT ONLY MAKES GOING AFTER THE INFRINGING SEEDERS that much easier

Quote:
You keep repeating over and over, fair use this, betamax that, but in all cases, we have shown that those arguments either don't apply or are total horseshit. Can you at least address the points? Fair use is bullshit and VERY narrow in scope, and certainly doesn't apply to torrent sites, otherwise there would be all sorts of torrent sites in the US. The betamax decision is the same. Doesn't apply here, otherwise it would have been argued and there would be a ton of torrent sites in the US. There are not, so your argument is weak.
you yourself are making the arguement that you don't want to go after the individual seeder because it is cheaper than going after the trackers and the sites that host the torrent files. so why would you expect anyone to spend millions of dollars defending a right they legitimately had when they can gain the right by simply moving their operation to a country with fairer laws.

Look you like US contribitory infringement laws, because they make it cost effective to protect your content.
I don't because they are repeatedly abused to take away fair use rights.

I suggest you look at the case laws and you will see that every "fair use" lose happens only in case brought under the contributory infringement laws.

NOT ONE SINGLE CASE brought under the intermediate or direct infringment has ever violated a "fair use"

Quote:
Maybe you need to cruis back to the torrent chat boards for a while and get some new ammo, this stuff is very worn out.
you can fully protect your copyright using by targeting only direct infringers and intermediary infringers WORLD WIDE

You admit that some torrents have legitimate use ("Very few if any") yet you still want to use a law you know will take away those limited legitimate uses.

BTW torrents don't need trackers to share files i suggest you look up DHT.
since the torrent file does not contain any copyright material and doesn't contain any trade secrets should it be protected by the copyright laws as well
I can write books telling people how to do illegal things( like making bombs), i can write software that can potentially be used to do illegal things(like cracking dvd encryption). All of those are protected by both copyright law and first ammendment rights. If your right and your copyright allows control of distribution of your work, doesn't the torrent creator have the same right to protect his copyright.

Wouldn't you be violating his copyright to protect your own WHEN YOU CAN PERFECTLY PROTECT YOUR COPYRIGHT by going after the SEEDERS DIRECTLY.

Your arguement about how strong your copyright protection is flawed because you seem to want to ignore "fair use" the problem is even if i seed the point (which i am only doing to make the point because your assessment about the lack of power of "fair use" is dead wrong) then the .torrent file should be entitled to the same incontrovertible protection as well.

your arguement is flawed because if you are correct about how perfect your protection is targeting the .torrent files is violation of their copyright

And if you are wrong it then "fair use" prevents you from targeting the .torrent file as well.

“When crimes occur through the mail, you don’t shut the post office down,” Steve Wozniak
gideongallery is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote