View Single Post
Old 12-11-2007, 10:21 AM  
TheLegacy
I'm Bi-sexy

Industry Role:
2. Jesus Christ ? You were a pastor? You toured as a "gospel singer"? What caused you to move over to the dark side?

Because the dark side has better cookies

26 years ago I entered into the seminary to be a pastor ? I also had the ability to sing and did solo work, even sung in Harlem New York but also toured throughout Ontario as I preached. This is where I learned my ease and comfort to speak in front of many people. The largest I preached and sung was 7000. One funny moment while singing in front of 1000 people was my eyes spotted this girl who was as beautiful as Sunny Leone and right in the middle of the worshipful song - I went - "oh WOW!!!" We both went red in the face and I had to finish the rest of the song embarrassed. Yet there were many factors that helped me change my direction. The final decision happened when I realized that going to church makes me as much of a Christian as going to the movies makes me an actor.

The ?church? was man?s best way to worship an entity they couldn?t understand ? so they created a building and a set of rules that in their heart they felt this God would want from us. After realizing that I preached on a phrase, ?in the beginning God created man ? later man decided to return the favor?

At 26 my sister died of cancer and it took a lot out of me. As I held her hand when she passed I didn?t blame God, but I did realize that I wasn?t living my life for me ? instead for everyone in the church. I had lost myself in it all. Fast forward a few years to when I arrived to the offices of Python, David asked me if I was okay with adult content and I had to make a decision there to work in an industry that I only heard rumors about and no fact. My first few weeks was a shock because I was not use to people so open about their lives and sex ? but found a great environment that David produced in the team he created, it was a family.

David was an owner with vision back in the late 90's as he realized that webmasters weren?t the only valuable resource to the company ? but also its employee?s. Weekly he would take someone out for lunch so that he could find what their concerns were and how he could help them do their job better and more effectively for the company. It worked and I respected him greatly for his ability to keep in touch with each of his employee?s. Did it cost money? Sure but the benefits of known exactly what your company needs for growth was greater as he took Python into the stratosphere in numbers and financial growth. I think that was well worth the lunch money don?t you?

Long after I left Python as their Director of Marketing and Sales ? David invited me back to look over the place. I was amazed that the lunch room had pinball machines and everything in place to make the employee?s feel like they belonged (free drinks etc) ? it was home to them as well. I attribute that attitude of David's to the great success this company has seen over these many years. The employee?s were happy and that spilled over to the webmasters ? enthusiasm is infectious.

You see many owners who mirror that today - Steve Lightspeed - Mark from 2much - PlatinumDave - Fred from Braincash - Ron (12clicks) from 12clickscash - Sleazy - AaronM - the list goes on as I have only scratched the surface. These men I consider friends and they have allowed me to learn from their success's and watch as they carry on that same mathematical equation for success - that is the formula of old school.

I had entered into the ministry to help people, but was not going to be bound by walls and regulations ? micromanaging your daily life to the point that the life God gave you was being sucked out by religious overlords who demanded obedience. I think that is why I am so opposed to the old 70?s style of management called ?micro-management? in any form. Owners who feel that watching their employee?s every movement and show a lack of trust in their abilities often fail and rarely get recognized as a good company to work for or do business with. They often fail and instead of blaming themselves for their poor management style - often push even harder their rep?s just give up. Watching pennies as dollars are passing them by.

Yet for some owners they are justified to a point that on the other hand, we have a new set of employee?s out who bring to the table a whole set of new game rules - there who now find acting irresponsibly at conventions and on webmaster boards is an acceptable way to represent the company. This also causes some employers concern as we hear of reps who leave their company taking lists and programs with them to share sensitive information with their new employer.

What amazes me is this is a multi-billion dollar industry and we are running it like a door-to-door vacuum sales company or a sleazy car sales company.

I am going to be soon 47 years old - and over the 12 years I have tried and kept true to my philosophy that I have grown up with. I don?t preach at all my beliefs ? it?s not my place, but I do hold fast to my ethics and morals in living a life free from lies and deceit. If I have a problem with someone or a company I generally allow Karma to catch up to them and not getting into any pissing matches. You attract what you put out ? simple as that. That is what I grew up with and was taught in seminary.

I help when I can without asking for anything in return. Often companies are amazed that I won?t take a referral fee or money under the table ? instead giving it to the company. Yet that is what you do when your under salary and have only one employer. Accept money elsewhere and now your working for two people.

I also have helped in the growth of a few companies out there who in return listen to me when I hear of someone who has contacted me because they are out of work. My network of friends often team up and we together can find mostly anything that is being asked out there. This is the walk I have chosen ? that has been taught to me by people such as Bob Rice and others ? to give back to a community that has given so much to me.

So religion has helped me become who I am today - and I will never regret that - my word is my bond. I do have pride as I have worked in keep my name good for so long with few enemies and a long line of those who would help me if I need be. I am living the best years of my life now - I have a great wife - awesome new child and one of strongest network of friends any person can hope for. I am truly grateful for everyone and take no one for granted.

RobertWarrenSEO.com
TheLegacy is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote