View Single Post
Old 12-22-2008, 09:56 AM  
boneprone
Hall Of Fame

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetT View Post
Brian....

While most of your points are valid I think they are not on target in this case. First, projecting revenues "to the street" is not grounds for damages so no court is going to honor that as a legitimate proof of damages.

In the first term of a contract the company has many expenses that it plans to recoup during the course of the contract and hope to make a little money too. Like you said above, if the customer just ups and cancels for no reason then it stands to cause "damage" to the company for all of the money that was invested in the contract and the company has a right to sue for "damages". The official term is "liquidated damages". The contract term that we are discussing in this thread was fulfilled not once, not twice, but three times through the auto-renewal phase and, according to the customer, no more money was invested in hardware on this account prior to the original contract execution. Any judge with half common sense is going to look at this and call the damages that the company is suing for "punitive" and not "liquidated". Punitive damages in most states are not allowed in contract disputes...I know Georgia is one....not sure about California.

Again, let me reiterate....it is fun pretending to be a lawyer but Boneprone (the OP) should absolutely not take my advice and should speak directly to an attorney to decide what is best for his specific case.

--T

Yep. I think this is something everyone can agree on here.

However I have been tempted to call the Attorney that is after me and say hey lets make this disappear. What will you settle on. And then be done. Would save me some personal attorney fees if thats pretty much all he will be doing for me anyhow.

If this guy is willing to settle on 50% he may be just as willing to do that with me as he would my attorney correct?

Its time for damage control here for me and to minimize the $$ loss. For it looks like it will be a loss either way.

Industry Hall Of Fame Legend Mike Jones
Bow to the Power - Still BP4L
http://gfyawards.com/hall-of-fame
Learn about it kids.
boneprone is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote