View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 05:30 PM  
MediaGuy
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
6. Talk about Jerry Garcia and the producer of the original Twilight Zone series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleazyDream View Post
6. Talk about Jerry Garcia and the producer of the original Twilight Zone series.
Well basically me and my travelling & writing partner, a guy called Andrew who is one of the best friends I ever had, wanted to interview Jerry, after admiring his work for so many years... So I came up with a plan - I wrote to the banjo magazine and said basically, "In our correspondence with Mr Garcia's management, he has expressed a great interest in being interviewed on his favorite instrument at last for your magazine..." etc...

Then we wrote to Grateful Dead management and said basically the same thing, "In our correspence with Banjo Newsletter, the editors... " etc...

So of course, if they could get it on spec, especially, the editors wrote back saying they would be very interested...

One day a couple months after I mailed the letter, I got a phone call while I was playing chess and sipping some homemade Sicilian wine with another friend, and basically the only thing the guy said after introducing himself as the Dead's publicist was "Jerry would LOVE to!!"

I nearly fell on my ass, and not from the wine.

So we planned a huge trek across America and Mexico to be able to end up in California on the specified date. It was awesome, we did east coast, the south, louisiana and Texas, then veered south to the Baja to find the epicentre of the longest solar eclipse in our generation, then humped it back up the west coast.

Jerry was cool. He was drinking grape juice and root beer from bottles that looked like wine and beer, heh, and was clean, hadn't touched heroine and was back steady on the insulin. We were all pretty nervous and even forgot to turn on the mic on the tape recorder at one point, but it came out great.

The interview isn't online I don't think but Rothman quotes extensively from it in his Jerry Garcia piece "The Banjo Years" http://www.thebestofwebsite.com/Band...anjo_Years.htm

YOU Are Industry News!
Press Releases: pr[at]payoutmag.com
Facebook: Payout Magazine! Facebook: MIKEB!
MediaGuy is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote