View Single Post
Old 02-24-2012, 03:08 AM  
gimme-website
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
See i cant resist posting. Ill calm down a little when i get to 1k posts.

I wanted to edit my post but im out of time. So sorry for being king shit and posting yet again. "my designer is taking ages" is a sentance i hear a lot. And Id like to offer the other side of the coin on this subject.

Graphic design isnt like photography. Its not an instant event. It's a process..
And that process is like a road trip... Some passengers know their destination and you can drive them there directly. Others just have a map drawn on a scrap of paper and dont realy know where they want to go.

In a perfect world every job would have a ETA accurate to the minite. You could achive that maybe if you had 1 client..but when you have 10 jobs in the queue it gets hard.
Now i know what your thinking "don't take on so much work if you cant deliver in time".
I retort with "My clients come to me becuase the want ME. they are told the "queue".. it is their choice to join it or not.

Now other conciderations. Last week we were blackmailed to let a guy jump the queue.
His english was poor, and he didnt understand the difference between "how long will it take you " (3 days) and "when will you do it" (2 weeks). Normaly i would have refunded.. but his threats were so repugnent that i decided to roll over and show my belly. It wasnt worth the fight. I worked 7am -midnight that week to get his AND other scheduled work out the door on time.

Add to this life events such as medical emergancies ect..
I think ALL the known designers on this board do a fan-fucking-tastic job of serving you all.

Posting style. Well you do whatever works for you.
There's a guy here who just talks about poo.
There's a guy who talks like a bot
Theres a designer who claims to be the "best in the world"
Theres a designer who will get her tits out if you ask nicely

What works for me works for me.....Obnoxious.. eliteist..SUre.. i accept that. But it works for me. And if you dont like it.. the block button is easy to locate.