View Single Post
Old 12-29-2014, 05:39 PM  
Rochard
Jägermeister Test Pilot

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDalton View Post
a friend of mine is engineer for Honeywell and developing new shit for planes - i asked him why they do not simply additionally stream the flight recorder information via satellite - should not be too difficult when they can send already engine data and other maintenance information.

he said too much information to transmit and also it takes usually something like 10 years before new technology is approved and introduced

and: at least until now it almost never happened that a plane got totally lost and no black box could be found - that technology would cost more than not finding a plane every 20 years
I think you are right. I have a friend who works for Intel he tells me there is a five year lead time from concept to deployment.

In this case I can just imagine how it would go... Sounds simple, right? Stream information to a satellite. Easy. But if you start at the very beginning - what data to send - everyone is going to disagree. For example, air speed - should they transmit that data, and why? Should that data come from the sensor on the bottom of the aircraft or from computers in the cockpit. Which would be more accurate, and which would be subject to failure more than the other? Then we'll need something to power the system that will track the air speed, and a method to transmit it? Is it as simple as running a wire from the cockpit to a cabinet in the back of the plane? If so, what kind of wire would they use? Then who would have access to this cabinet.

Get my point?

YNOT MAIL | THE BEST ADULT MAILING SOLUTION
Rochard is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote