View Single Post
Old 12-29-2014, 05:48 PM  
MaDalton
I am Amazing Content!

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochard View Post
I think you are right. I have a friend who works for Intel he tells me there is a five year lead time from concept to deployment.

In this case I can just imagine how it would go... Sounds simple, right? Stream information to a satellite. Easy. But if you start at the very beginning - what data to send - everyone is going to disagree. For example, air speed - should they transmit that data, and why? Should that data come from the sensor on the bottom of the aircraft or from computers in the cockpit. Which would be more accurate, and which would be subject to failure more than the other? Then we'll need something to power the system that will track the air speed, and a method to transmit it? Is it as simple as running a wire from the cockpit to a cabinet in the back of the plane? If so, what kind of wire would they use? Then who would have access to this cabinet.

Get my point?
modern black boxes work with flash cards - you could simply transmit exactly the same information you record with that

add some encryption and compression and delete information 1 hour after plane has successfully landed

but there are also privacy issues since every word the pilots speak during flight would be transmitted
MaDalton is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote