View Single Post
Old 01-03-2015, 09:55 PM  
DraX
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ********** View Post
Hey all,

If you're fan of LOTR and haven't seen the new Hobbit movie yet, then you're not a real fan. But in case you are and you plan to go soon, don't. At least, don't go without reading this first.

I'm not really a LOTR fan but liked the first 3 movies. These last 3 however are all based on one book, and its ridiculous. They should have called this movie : The Hobbit : Computer Graphic armys fight each other for 2 hours. It's long and dull and boring and stupid and pointless and and and and and and and...

Now on to the new movie format. It's called HFR / 48, or High Frame Rate, or 48 FPS.

The good:
The 3D in HFR movies looks great. Normally, your left and right eye see alternate frames of a movie. Since classic movies are shown in 24 frames per second, a 3D movie mades each eye see 12 frames per second. This resulted in headaches for some, darker images for others, and general blurry uninteresting visuals.

In 48 FPS though, each eye sees 24 frames per second, so the 3D looks much better. You see real depth, and swords and things really do seem to stick way out.

But thats where the fun ends. HFR 48 is the weirdest looking thing. Movement is much smoother than in a normal movie, and the detail is insane. You can see every pore and every fleck of skin on the tip of everyone's nose. You can see ever single spec of dust in every puff of smoke.

Cool article about it here : 48 FPS and Beyond: How High Frame Rate Films Affect Perception - Tested

For reasons I can't really explain, everything looks incredibly fake. Other times, it looked like I was watching old-style video, like a soap opera, instead of a genuine movie. It was so distracting that I found myself having trouble to pay attention to the movie.

Anyway, if you plan to see it, just see it in a standard format, or, in IMAX 3D without HFR if you can. It sucks that much.
Havn't seen the last hobbit movie but 3d 48fps aside I thought the first 2 movies were good. Some of it I liked better than the lord of the ring.

So can't say im a big fan of LOTR either but obviously for different reasons than yourself.

With LOTR I loved the music, scenery, dialogs and acting but all 3 were so drawn-out on pretty much every part. Some fighting scenes sucked as well, too much camera movement and I really hate that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassmonkey View Post
they didnt put much in the last one it was terrible!!! looks like the ravens beat the steelers
I hope you are wrong, I really liked the first 2 hobbits.