View Single Post
Old 05-27-2018, 01:03 PM  
BigFurry
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
Quote:
Originally Posted by faxxaff View Post
Reminds me of a complaint I once made to CCBill. I made a test purchase that wasn't credited to my affiliate account. They said I should clear all my cookies and run the same purchase again. Having too many cookies seems to make affiliate tracking more difficult ... another reason to not rely on them.

I think it was Shap who once posted his experiences with affiliate tracking and he believed around 20% of sales weren't tracked or something along the lines.Too me that is a huge number.
Cookies don't get lost. (You can delete them manually or set the browser to delete them after you quit, but those things don't happen in the middle of a test join session) (Or you can block them altogether, but then websites stop working properly.).
Also, too many cookies cannot cause any problems. Maybe they explained it poorly.

There are two possibilities:
1. CCBILL or the program was using the "first cookie wins" approach, and you already visited the site in that browser (working as intended)
2. CCBILL's system is buggy

I also think that many affiliate sales get lost, but cookies aren't really the culprit. Sometimes it's inevitable because it's impossible to detect that it's the same user that came back, sometimes it's the poor coding of the affiliate program.
BigFurry is offline   Share thread on Digg Share thread on Twitter Share thread on Reddit Share thread on Facebook Reply With Quote