View Single Post
Old 12-29-2020, 07:04 PM  
zijlstravideo
Confirmed User

Industry Role:
I agree, of course large scaled websites should moderate the stuff thats being posted as well. I also think the changes "The Hub" made are a good thing, and I think mainstream sites should follow their example by verifying their content creators. Especially sites like Print on Demand stores (For example, browse Redbubble.com for a minute and you'll see about 100 "stores" selling straight up copyrighted photos, even trademarked logo's and such. It's a shit hole...), same goes for Youtube. This will only result in higher quality content being sold, and shakes out those that are looking to make a quick buck by selling stolen works.

There is however a big but(t)... I don't have much faith in goverments getting too much involved in "internet things" either, to be honest. Just look at EU's cookie law, it's just one of those examples of laws that don't solve anything, instead, just annoy everyone.
This new (upcoming) EU law seems over the top as well, as it would mean a platform like Reddit or Twitter pretty much probably won't be able to exist, simply because of this new "link tax" law, which would force aggregating websites (I guess, tubes with thumbs fall under the same category) having to pay large bills for the links posted on their site.

Unless they are willing to pay for each link shared, they are likely going to run into trouble. Goodbye circle jerks, I guess? Goodbye search engines? Running a site similar as Reddit, you're in bad luck! In other words, it's going to become really complicated, to say the least.

Again, changes can be good, but goverments getting too much involved can become worrying too, as you'll never know what kind of unnecessary rules "they" can come up with next. Eventually it might come back to bite you or me in the ass (for whatever reason) in the future just as bad (even without having any user generated content on your sites, but just for having the wrong business model).