GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum

GoFuckYourself.com - Adult Webmaster Forum (https://gfy.com/index.php)
-   Fucking Around & Business Discussion (https://gfy.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   fridays GUITAR thread (https://gfy.com/showthread.php?t=1132965)

Minte 02-07-2014 08:59 AM

fridays GUITAR thread

I didn't buy anything this week. But I did think about it.

http://mintesfiles.com/gfy/geets.jpg

dyna mo 02-07-2014 09:05 AM

I restrung my LP last nite, top wrap.

Minte, have you tried this method?

http://images.gibson.com.s3.amazonaw...g_top-wrap.jpg

Minte 02-07-2014 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dyna mo (Post 19973675)
I restrung my LP last nite, top wrap.

Minte, have you tried this method?

http://images.gibson.com.s3.amazonaw...g_top-wrap.jpg

I haven't, is there a reason to do it that way?

dyna mo 02-07-2014 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minte (Post 19973678)
I haven't, is there a reason to do it that way?

It's a trick Joe Bonamassa uses.

Here's a blurb about it

Quote:

There?s a standard way of stringing a Les Paul or other stop tailpiece-equipped axe, and it works perfectly fine. And so it should! The darn things were designed to work that way! But there?s another method that some players swear by, often called ?top wrapping.? This is a simple trick which anyone can do, and it?s totally reversible (although there?s a small risk of scuffing up your tailpiece, so if that?s a concern for you you may want to pick up a spare tailpiece).

All you need to do is lower the tailpiece right down against the body, poke the strings through the ?wrong? end of the tailpiece (from the pickup side instead of the tailpiece side), then thread them back towards the bridge and thread them through the tuner posts like you normally would. And that?s it!

There are two main reasons that players might employ this method of stringing: string slinkiness and sustain.

String Slinkiness

Top-wrapping creates a shallower break angle over the bridge saddle, since the strings pass from the top of the bridge instead of halfway through it, and many players report that their strings feel looser and slinkier as a result. The idea is that with the shallower break angle, the strings are free to move more easily over the bridge when you bend. By the way, as with any setup, it?s a good idea to use some kind of lubricant at the saddles and nut slots.

Sustain

Secondly, players report an increase in bottom end and sustain when they top-wrap, and they attribute this to the fact that the tailpiece is screwed right down against the body, creating a more efficient transfer of energy from the string into the body, and from the body back into the string.

I tried this with my Gibson Les Paul Traditional and I definitely noticed an improvement in string bendability, low end and sustain, although this will be more apparent on some guitars than others, on a ?piece-of-wood-by-piece-of-wood? basis. Next string change, consider giving it a try to see if it works for you!

Yo Adrian 02-07-2014 09:12 AM

I put in an hour of practice on my bass this morning before starting work. Learning a new pedal I just picked up last week.

dyna mo 02-07-2014 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yo Adrian (Post 19973684)
I put in an hour of practice on my bass this morning before starting work. Learning a new pedal I just picked up last week.

Which pedal did you get?

Rebel D 02-07-2014 09:15 AM

i think i may have some old bass pedals around if you want them

magicmarketingsoftware 02-07-2014 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minte (Post 19973667)
I didn't buy anything this week. But I did think about it.

so buy it when u want.

romeo22 02-07-2014 09:28 AM

coool story bro..im going to buy a hooker

Minte 02-07-2014 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dyna mo (Post 19973680)
It's a trick Joe Bonamassa uses.

Here's a blurb about it

Ok, that makes sense, at least for bending notes. The sustain thing...maybe.
But I am going to restring one of my Les Pauls that way and see how it works out.

dyna mo 02-07-2014 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minte (Post 19973721)
Ok, that makes sense, at least for bending notes. The sustain thing...maybe.
But I am going to restring one of my Les Pauls that way and see how it works out.

Right on, I'd be interested in what you think about it. The reason I decided to give it a whirl is my big E string was slightly touching the back of the bridge anyway, so I was going to have to adjust the tail regardless. I figured I'd just screw it down and top wrap.

And many of the songs I play have quite a few bends in them, am looking forward to seeing if I can tell a difference in that regard.

Minte 02-07-2014 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dyna mo (Post 19973735)
Right on, I'd be interested in what you think about it. The reason I decided to give it a whirl is my big E string was slightly touching the back of the bridge anyway, so I was going to have to adjust the tail regardless. I figured I'd just screw it down and top wrap.

And many of the songs I play have quite a few bends in them, am looking forward to seeing if I can tell a difference in that regard.

I had 2 of my strats set up and the big change was switching to the Ernie Ball cobalts in 9's..
They are a serious upgrade for bending notes and holding good sustain.

Minte 02-07-2014 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by magicmarketingsoftware (Post 19973694)
so buy it when u want.

Thanks for the advice.

dyna mo 02-07-2014 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minte (Post 19973738)
I had 2 of my strats set up and the big change was switching to the Ernie Ball cobalts in 9's..
They are a serious upgrade for bending notes and holding good sustain.

I'll give those a whirl. I stick to nines anyhoo. I have been buying the 10 pack of d'arddios xl, it works out to ~$3/set which is pretty economical and I like putting fresh strings on often, except for the LP, I kept the originals on for ~6 weeks, loved em.

dyna mo 02-07-2014 09:50 AM

Minte, what are your thoughts on a wound G string?

Zeiss 02-07-2014 10:02 AM

I bought lots of shit this week and expecting more deliveries soon.. .:P

Minte 02-07-2014 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zealotry (Post 19973771)
I bought lots of shit this week and expecting more deliveries soon.. .:P

currentlysober's fake nick?

Minte 02-07-2014 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dyna mo (Post 19973755)

Halle Berry looks great in one!

http://l.yimg.com/ea/img/-/110603/ha...kQUroOVBqpEw--

On a guitar, not as much. I use the g a lot up high. Those have so much tension they give the callouses a serious workout.

Zeiss 02-07-2014 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minte (Post 19973811)
currentlysober's fake nick?

No. Things I need to play.

Minte 02-07-2014 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dyna mo (Post 19973752)
I'll give those a whirl. I stick to nines anyhoo. I have been buying the 10 pack of d'arddios xl, it works out to ~$3/set which is pretty economical and I like putting fresh strings on often, except for the LP, I kept the originals on for ~6 weeks, loved em.

Not sure if you are aware of the String Club from Guitar Centers. One set of free strings every month.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/String-Club-g26620t0.gc

Zeiss 02-07-2014 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minte (Post 19973927)
Not sure if you are aware of the String Club from Guitar Centers. One set of free strings every month.

With my rate of fucking up strings, they will go bankrupt... :1orglaugh:1orglaugh:1orglaugh

ruff 02-07-2014 12:35 PM

Has anyone tried out TronicalTune? Looks interesting. I'm thinking about get a set for my 64 strat.

jollyhumper 02-07-2014 12:44 PM

I am going to practice for an hour now on my Strat, no new strings today but I tend to change them every 4th or 5th week. I'm using Fender Bulletstrings 009, they're cheap, sounds good although they do die a bit quicker than other strings.

I don't have my amp here atm, so I'll put my headphones into my Pod HD300 and practice on that one.

Jolly

iSpyCams 02-07-2014 12:56 PM

Not a guitar still guitar related: I got a call from my account rep at Sweetwater today and he told me my backorder is came in stock and I should have one of these: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VoiceLive3

On my doorstep tomorrow.

LBBV 02-07-2014 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruff (Post 19973949)
Has anyone tried out TronicalTune? Looks interesting. I'm thinking about get a set for my 64 strat.

I would also be interested to hear if anyone here is using one. Seems pretty cool and of course, lots cheaper than the Gibson robot ax.

-- Bill

dyna mo 02-07-2014 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pompousjohn (Post 19973968)
Not a guitar still guitar related: I got a call from my account rep at Sweetwater today and he told me my backorder is came in stock and I should have one of these: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VoiceLive3

On my doorstep tomorrow.

I have the voicelive play, it's damn nice. I run it into a boss rc300 loop station which has a ton of effects so I didn't need the extra effects on the voicelive

iSpyCams 02-07-2014 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dyna mo (Post 19973990)
I have the voicelive play, it's damn nice. I run it into a boss rc300 loop station which has a ton of effects so I didn't need the extra effects on the voicelive

I've been using the voicelive 2 for years, and it has really upped my game as a vocalist. I don't use too many features but just being able to control my mic gain, reverb and delay on stage is huge. Tone control and guitar tuner are great too. Plus I use the extra outputs to feed my wireless in ear so I never have to worry about if I can hear myself in the monitors.

dyna mo 02-07-2014 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pompousjohn (Post 19974004)
I've been using the voicelive 2 for years, and it has really upped my game as a vocalist. I don't use too many features but just being able to control my mic gain, reverb and delay on stage is huge. Tone control and guitar tuner are great too. Plus I use the extra outputs to feed my wireless in ear so I never have to worry about if I can hear myself in the monitors.

nice, which mic are you using? I'm on the mp-75 and like it a lot but don't have a whole lot of experience with them.

iSpyCams 02-07-2014 01:34 PM

My trusty SM58 finally developed some issues after 15 years of faithfull service so I went and got a Senheiser e835. I don't know if its just me or maybe my beat up SM58 but the Senheiser seems to have a lot more punch and clarity.

dyna mo 02-07-2014 01:38 PM

Can you operate the voicelive via that mic?

iSpyCams 02-07-2014 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dyna mo (Post 19974022)
Can you operate the voicelive via that mic?

There is a version that has a button on it I understand it operates some functions but mine doesn't have that.

dyna mo 02-07-2014 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minte (Post 19973927)

I was not aware, but will be dropping by the hollywood gc to sign up for this tomorrow.

thx for the heads-up! :thumbsup

2MuchMark 02-07-2014 02:26 PM

I just bought a guitar and amp about a month ago and am loving it. I can't play very well yet but I'm learning my chords and learning to put them together into simple songs. I'm even started (ugh) singing... ! Don't worry I promise not to pollute GFY with any of that.

I'm currently trying to play the rhythm guitar to Hail to the King (not the lead, too hard for me right now).

2MuchMark 02-07-2014 02:36 PM

I look exactly like this guy when I play

awesome!

iwantchixx 02-07-2014 03:04 PM

I think I'm done buying guitars stuff for awhile but I am going to add an audio interface, controller, sm57 mic and then studio monitors (yahama hs8 most likely) to my collection next. Probably pick up everything except the monitors next weekend.

iwantchixx 02-07-2014 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ********** (Post 19974087)
I look exactly like this guy when I play

awesome!

he has a nice tone heh

the tuning for that track sucks to have to tune down for though.. takes the intonation out

JFK 02-07-2014 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dyna mo (Post 19973755)

depends on what it's wound around :Graucho

iwantchixx 02-07-2014 05:55 PM

trying to lean that Hail to the king backing solo part now.. its simple on paper but fuck me if I cant get through it all without forearm-burn-galore lol

I always have a problem with stuff like 5h8p5p0 over and over heh

Zeiss 02-07-2014 06:58 PM

What's with all the crap posted here!? When instruments' models, inscriptions and logos start to play instead of you, call me. I'll be around... Just in case.

Minte 02-07-2014 08:03 PM

ok, here's one I recorded during a practice session right after I got the LP R9 last fall.. I'll add a new one tomorrow.

2MuchMark 02-07-2014 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwantchixx (Post 19974110)
I think I'm done buying guitars stuff for awhile but I am going to add an audio interface, controller, sm57 mic and then studio monitors (yahama hs8 most likely) to my collection next. Probably pick up everything except the monitors next weekend.

I have a question for you:

Is there such a thing as a mixer, that you can control by computer? For example, I would connect my various audio inputs such as mic, guitar, etc into the box, with output going to an amp, but then with a USB cable connected to my computer that would let me see all the levels, control each channel, etc?

2MuchMark 02-07-2014 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwantchixx (Post 19974112)
he has a nice tone heh

the tuning for that track sucks to have to tune down for though.. takes the intonation out

Arrgghhh you mean I have to detune to get that sound? No wonder ... I tried watching really closely and even found another tutorial on how to play it and I couldn't even come close to getting that sound. It didn't occur to me to detune. Sigh.

iwantchixx 02-08-2014 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ********** (Post 19974423)
Arrgghhh you mean I have to detune to get that sound? No wonder ... I tried watching really closely and even found another tutorial on how to play it and I couldn't even come close to getting that sound. It didn't occur to me to detune. Sigh.

yeah, down a half step, then drop E string down another step

fattest to skinniest string

c g c f a d

iwantchixx 02-08-2014 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ********** (Post 19974418)
I have a question for you:

Is there such a thing as a mixer, that you can control by computer? For example, I would connect my various audio inputs such as mic, guitar, etc into the box, with output going to an amp, but then with a USB cable connected to my computer that would let me see all the levels, control each channel, etc?

Yes, but you are looking at a lot of $$$
http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/b... gital_mixer/

Minte 02-08-2014 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pompousjohn (Post 19973968)

On my doorstep tomorrow.

I watched the video this morning. That's really an amazing piece of technology.

iwantchixx 04-20-2014 01:57 PM

What a tone!

dyna mo 04-20-2014 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwantchixx (Post 20056734)
What a tone!

hah, what a kick ass bedroom amp of doom. even at 1w it sounds fantastic.

Gotta kick outta the backstory on the grill.

I guess ya got to get another amp for clean tones if you go with this eh, no clean channel?

iwantchixx 04-20-2014 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dyna mo (Post 20056744)
hah, what a kick ass bedroom amp of doom. even at 1w it sounds fantastic.

Gotta kick outta the backstory on the grill.

I guess ya got to get another amp for clean tones if you go with this eh, no clean channel?

As with guitar amps in general before "multi-channel" became the norm for differentiation between distortion and clean, just turn off boost and roll back the guitar's volume as Iommi did

Or as an old bandmate did, employ the use of a volume pedal with it blocked at the clean position so sound doesn't shut off completely at fully low-position when rolled back and just roll forward to increase gain. He was able to go from ringing bell cleans to full on melt-your-face lead tones on his Rockmaster preamp doing so. So it should be easy enough on this setup, too.

In-fact, I rarely use my Blackstar clean channel, it's too (boutique) for my liking. I just set neck volume to low and when I need clean, there she is :)

dyna mo 04-20-2014 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwantchixx (Post 20056782)
As with guitar amps in general before "multi-channel" became the norm for differentiation between distortion and clean, just turn off boost and roll back the guitar's volume as Iommi did

Or as an old bandmate did, employ the use of a volume pedal with it blocked at the clean position so sound doesn't shut off completely at fully low-position when rolled back and just roll forward to increase gain. He was able to go from ringing bell cleans to full on melt-your-face lead tones on his Rockmaster preamp doing so. So it should be easy enough on this setup, too.

In-fact, I rarely use my Blackstar clean channel, it's too (boutique) for my liking. I just set neck volume to low and when I need clean, there she is :)

Yeajh, I'm running through vintage silvertones now and that's what I do. I got the impression from the review though that the gain is always on with this amp.

DukeSkywalker 04-20-2014 04:14 PM

Minte, I finally received one of my custom builds. Ill post a pic later
Duke